Continuing my work on fixing the Frog Van, today I've removed both the inlet and exhaust manifolds to reveal the damage to the gasket (see image below).
|Manifolds removed with the metal gasket still in place.|
From the image above, the circular holes are for the inlet manifold whilst the square holes are for the exhaust manifold. Around the square hole on the far right, the top of the gasket was severely damaged with an obvious leak.
Having never seen a new version of this gasket I'm not sure if it is simply a metal gasket or a metal gasket with a black coating on each side? I've since watched a few Youtube videos on changing a manifold gasket where all the gaskets are metal only. Leading me to believe that possibly, the person who installed this gasket, coated it with a product called 'gasket goo' on both sides.
Which may have been fine except, with all the overheating trouble the Frog Van has had in the past, the heat may have been more than the product can take and the 'goo' has burned away. However I won't know for sure until I get the new gasket - which I've ordered from a local parts retailer and should have by tomorrow.
I don't know if I'll get this finished tomorrow. I've got another problem of a bolt that's broken off in the bottom of the inlet manifold that may not be easy to remove (another problem of not having the right tools to remove it). Crossing my fingers though. It would be great to have this finished and be driving by the weekend.